The majority of the club’s boats are fine racing shells designed for speed and competitive rowing.
In the interests of inclusion and making rowing more accessible we are looking to procure for the club a new ‘Touring Gig’ that we may use for teaching novices, managing more younger rowers and catering for those looking to keep fit whilst enjoying the river but who may not necessarily be motivated by rowing in finer racing shells.
Three-person touring gig.
Our objective is make rowing more accessible and seem less intimidating so that we can get more local people active on the water and enjoying our beautiful stretch of the river Waveney.
We are particularly keen on getting more children out on the water.
The benefits of a ‘long’ double touring boat are:
- It may easily be used for teaching from the cox’s seat
- It is more stable and sturdy for novice rowers
- It can be adapted for sculling or sweep oar rowing
- The seating positions may be switched so that two or three people can row
- It is perfect for less competitive social rowing
So far, our own fund raising has achieved £2000 towards the cost of the new boat but if you would like to make a donation towards this new boat then please follow the link below to make a contribution.